About Dr Heng Wee Jin
Designation: Head of Service (Cornea and Refractive Surgery), Senior Consultant
Qualification: MBBS (S’pore), MMed (S’pore), FAMS (S’pore), FRCSEd (UK), FACS (USA)
Clinical Interests: CORNEA,
- Dr Heng Wee Jin serves as the Deputy Medical Director of the National Healthcare Group Eye Institute (NHGEI) and the Singapore Eye Bank’s Deputy Clinical Director. He is also a Past President of the College of Ophthalmologists of the Singapore Academy of Medicine.
- Dr Heng Wee Jin is the Head and Senior Consultant of the Cornea and Refractive Surgery Services at NHGEI. As a nationally and internationally recognized specialist in corneal diseases, refractive and cataract surgery, he specializes in performing LASIK, PRK, Corneal Transplantation, Excimer Laser PTK, Phakic Intraocular Lens implantation, and Corneal Cross-linking, as well as managing Keratoconus, Corneal Dystrophies, Recurrent Corneal Erosions, Contact Lens-related problems, and other disabling conditions. He was instrumental in establishing the Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) Cornea Donation Program in 2003.
- Dr Heng Wee Jin graduated from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery in 1990 and a Master of Medicine (Ophthalmology) in 1996. (NUS). In 1996, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh), and in 2004, he was elected a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He finished his Cornea and Refractive Surgery Fellowship in 2000 at Philadelphia’s world-renowned Wills Eye Hospital, which has been consistently ranked among the top three eye hospitals in the United States for the previous 40 years.
- Dr Heng Wee Jin is a Clinical Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at NUS’s YLL School of Medicine and an Adjunct Associate Professor at Nanyang Technological University’s LKC School of Medicine.
- Prof Heng is the co-author of various medical publications and a book named Color Atlas and Synopsis of Cornea and External Eye Diseases. He has been asked to lecture at medical conferences and to do live demonstration procedures in Cataract, Cornea, and Refractive Surgery in a variety of nations, including the United States of America, China, India, Italy, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Vietnam. Additionally, he has taught numerous LASIK and ophthalmic microsurgery courses. Since 2003, he has supervised and trained a large number of local and international ophthalmologists in refractive, cataract, and corneal transplantation surgery, earning him many NHGEI Best Surgical Teacher Awards.
- He is the Chairman of the Joint Committee on Specialist Training’s Ophthalmology Exit Examination Committee, the Chief Examiner for the American Board of Medical Specialties (Singapore) Ophthalmology Examination, and a member of the Ophthalmology Residency Advisory Committee.
- Prof Heng has served on a number of national bodies, including the Specialist Training Committee for Ophthalmology, the Ministry of Health’s Advisory Committee on Organ Transplantation, the MOH’s Contact Lens Practitioner Board, and the Singapore Society of Ophthalmology.
- He has received numerous awards throughout his career, including the NHG Distinguished Senior Clinician Award (2020), two MOH Human Manpower Development Plan Overseas Fellowship Awards (1999 and 2010), the Asia Pacific Association of Cornea and Refractive Surgery Educator Award, the Spring Singapore Excellence Service Star Award, the National Healthcare Group Service Champion Award, the TTSH Staff Excellence Gold Award, and a TTSH Staff Excellence Platinum Award.
Dr Heng Wee Jin Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): Phone: +65 6256 6011, General Enquiries: 6256 6011, Centralised Appointment Lines: 6357 7000, 9635 1421 (for local SMS), Billing Enquiries: 6407 8128, Emergency Department: 6357 8754, TTSH Community Fund: 6357 2500. For Online Appointment : Click here
Chamber Name & Address: Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), 11 Jln Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433.