About Dr Jacob Oh Yoong Leong
Specialty: Orthopaedic Surgery
Designation: Deputy Head of Department, Head of Service (Spine Surgery), Senior Consultant
Qualification: MBCHB (NZ), MMed (Orthopaedic Surgery),
FRCS Orth & Tr (Edinburgh)
Clinical Interests: Spine Surgery
- Dr Jacob Oh Yoong Leong is a Singapore-trained orthopaedic surgeon who has completed a fellowship in complex spine surgery on an international level. He is a Senior Consultant and Deputy Head of Tan Tock Seng Hospital’s Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Additionally, he serves as the Director of the Spine Service.
- Dr Jacob Oh Yoong Leong earned a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBCHB) from the University of Otago in New Zealand in 2003. He has earned the following postgraduate degrees during his training: Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (MRCS), holder of a Master of Medicine in Orthopaedic Surgery from the National University of Singapore (NUS), and fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCSed Ortho). He is also a Singapore Specialist Accreditation Board member.
- Dr Jacob Oh Yoong Leong was awarded the coveted Ministry of Health Scholarship (MOH) for foreign training and development following his orthopaedic studies. He spent 12 months in North America at this time, working at one of Canada’s largest spinal units, where he learnt cutting-edge treatments such as minimally invasive surgery, spinal navigation, and adult deformity (scoliosis). He was fortunate to receive training at this clinic from both neurosurgeons and orthopaedic surgeons who specialize in spine surgery, combining the best of both specialities.
- Dr Jacob Oh Yoong Leong’s present practice is entirely dedicated on spinal surgery. He handles the whole gamut of spinal surgery, including spinal decompression, fusions, spine tumors, cervical and lumbar spine degenerative disorders, and spinal traumas. His clinical interests include keyhole spine surgery, spinal trauma, spinal navigation, and adult deformity (Scoliosis).
- Apart from clinical work, he is actively involved in teaching medical students at the National University of Singapore’s Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine and the Nanyang Technological University’s Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (NTU). Since 2014, he has been an Adjunct Assistant Professor at NUS. He is also the assistant program director (APD) of the NHG Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program, where he teaches and mentors the country’s next generation of orthopaedic surgeons.
- Dr Jacob Oh is a scholar with a strong commitment to study and academic activity. He has published globally in peer-reviewed medical journals, lectured both locally and globally, and has been invited to teach and practice his spinal surgical procedures both locally and worldwide. Dr Jacob Oh has also received various honors for his clinical and educational services. Most recently, he was awarded the TTSH top ten teaching awards in 2017, the National Healthcare Group Teaching Award for Senior Physicians in 2018, and the TTSH Best Teacher (Surgery) in 2018.
- Dr Jacob Oh serves on the executive committee of the Singapore Spine Society (2018-2019) and the Singapore Orthopaedic Association (2018-2019), and is a member of the Asia-Pacific Spine Society (APSS), the Asia-Pacific Spine Society (AO Spine), the North American Spine Society (NASS), the Society for Lateral Access Surgery (SOLAS), and the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (SMISS) (SMISS).
Dr Jacob Oh Yoong Leong Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): Phone: +65 6256 6011, General Enquiries: 6256 6011, Centralised Appointment Lines: 6357 7000, 9635 1421 (for local SMS), Billing Enquiries: 6407 8128, Emergency Department: 6357 8754, TTSH Community Fund: 6357 2500. For Online Appointment : Click here
Chamber Name & Address: Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), 11 Jln Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433.