About Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee
Qualification: MBBS (S’pore), MRCS (Edin), Dip Av Med (UK), FAMS
Clinical Interest: Advanced cataract surgery, medical retina and aviation medicine
Raffles Eye Centre – Raffles Hospital
- Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee received a Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Medicine Scholarship to complete his MBBS at the National University of Singapore in 2000. He completed his Aviation Medicine training at the University of London, where he won the Stewart Memorial Prize for graduating at the top of his Aviation Medicine cohort in 2003. He then pursued ophthalmology and earned a Master of Ophthalmology in 2008 from the University of Edinburgh. As one of the few experts on a dual specialisation track, he was accredited by the Singapore Medical Council in 2010 as a specialist in Aviation Medicine and in 2013 as a specialist in Ophthalmology. He is now a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh, a fellow of the Singapore College of Ophthalmologists, and a fellow of the College of Public Health and Occupational Physicians (Singapore).
- Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee is also a member and clinical assessor of the Civil Aviation Medical Board of the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore; an exit examiner for the Aviation Medicine exit exams; a medical student admission assessor at the National University of Singapore’s Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine; and a Consultant in Aviation Medicine and Ophthalmology to the Singapore Armed Forces.
- Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee previously worked at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital (NTFGH) and Jurong Medical Centre (JMC) as a consultant in ophthalmology, as head of the SAF Vision Performance Centre, as clinical director of Jurong Medical Centre, and as associate program director of the NUHS residency Ophthalmology program at the NTFGH Campus. He has been practicing ophthalmology since 2005 and has had the unusual opportunity to train in all three of the NUH’s major eye departments: NUH/TTSH/SNEC. This has enabled him to be trained in the clinical best practices of all of Singapore’s main reformed hospital-based ophthalmic specialists.
- Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee joined NTFGH/JMC as a Consultant in Ophthalmology in 2013 after completing his ophthalmology specialist training. He was also an honorary research fellow with Singapore Eye Research Institute, where he worked on a glaucoma research project focusing on early detection of glaucoma in the community. Apart from delivering specialized clinical services, he served as the medical retina subspecialty head at NTFGH/JMC and was responsible for developing evidence-based medical retina department-level treatment guidelines for NTFGH/JMC patients. He was also recruited to the NUHS (JurongHealth Campus) Eye Service Operations team, where he assisted in the development of new clinical workflows for the seamless delivery of inter-discipline specialist care at NTFGH/JMC, the launch of specialist eye services at the new NTFGH campus, and the development of eye-specific electronic medical record modules for an enhanced user experience in a busy clinical/OT setting.
- Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee served as chief registrar at the NUHS Eye Department during his specialist training and was tasked with organizing and coordinating regional surgical teaching conferences, regional socio-civic missions, and local ophthalmology screening programs as a result of his extensive operational experience. His leadership aptitude was recognized, and he was appointed Clinical Director of Jurong Medical Centre, where he had clinical leadership and teaching positions at the restructured hospitals. He led the development of JMC into a sustainable ambulatory surgery center with strategically located outpatient specialty clinics from 2016 to 2017.
- Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee also served in the SAF as Commanding Officer of 1 Medical Squadron (CO 1MS) and Commander of Military Medicine Institute. As CO 1MS, he oversaw the transformation of 1MS to Full Operational Capability for the SAF, developed and implemented integrated training between the SAF and Singapore’s restructured hospitals, maintained 1MS as a High Readiness Core operational SAF unit in support of our Nation’s Search And Rescue operations, and transformed 1MS Medical Centre into the top SAF Medical Centre. He handled primary healthcare, emergency evacuation, and specialized healthcare activities in all SAF medical/dental centers and provided operational medical assistance to the whole SAF as COMD MMI.
- On the educational front, Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee has acted as an examiner for aviation medicine exit exams since 2016 and as associate program director for the NUHS residency Ophthalmology program at the NTFGH Campus. He established the residency training program at NTFGH to enable residents from NUHS to complete their vitreoretinal residency rotation at NTFGH. Additionally, he has authored multiple research publications in both aviation and clinical ophthalmology, with a focus on refractive surgery and visual performance therapy options for extreme myopia.
Dr Marcus Tan Chiang Lee Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): Appointment Line Tel: +65 6311 1111 (Open 24 hours), General Enquiry Hotline: +65 6311 2222,Tel: +65 6311 1222 Ambulance Services Tel: +65 6311 1555 Make an enquiry if you require more information For Online Appointment : Click here
Chamber Name & Address: Raffles Hospital, 585 North Bridge Road Raffles Hospital, Singapore 188770.