About Dr Poh Beow Kiong
Languages: English, Hokkien, Malay, Mandarin
Fellowship and accreditation
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, National University of Singapore
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- Master of Medicine (Surgery), National University of Singapore
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore (Urology)
- Dr Poh Beow Kiong is a urologist at Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Novena and Gleneagles hospitals. Additionally, he conducts operations at Parkway East Hospital.
He is an expert in minimally invasive (keyhole) urological cancer surgery, including robotic prostate surgery, as well as kidney and bladder cancer surgery. He is also skilled in laser surgery for the removal of kidney stones.
Dr Poh Beow Kiong is one of a handful of urologists in Singapore who contributed to the refinement of MIS radical prostate cancer surgery techniques. Patients can experience less risks of post-operative urinary incontinence and a greater chance of preserving erectile function with the robotic adaptation of MIS prostate surgery.
- Dr Poh Beow Kiong is also skilled in kidney-sparing resection of kidney cancers (MIS partial nephrectomy), a technique that allows for the removal of kidney cancers without sacrificing the whole kidney or impairing kidney function.
He is one of the few doctors in Singapore who performs Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP), a procedure that allows for the complete removal of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) adenomas with minimal bleeding and continence preservation.
Dr Poh often demonstrates stone surgery techniques such as retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS) and mini percutaneous nephrolithotomy in the field of stone surgery (PCNL). These are minimally invasive techniques that allow for complete stone removal with a low rate of residual or recurrent stones.
Following graduation from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, he pursued specialist training in urology and earned a Master of Medicine in Surgery. He then completed subspecialty training at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Canada in keyhole surgery for kidney tumors.
Dr Poh served as a faculty member of the University of British Columbia’s urologic residency program, where he trained junior urologists in advanced kidney stone surgery.
He is currently a senior clinical lecturer at the National University of Singapore’s Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine and a faculty member of the Singapore urology residency program. Additionally, he serves as a visiting lecturer for the Indonesian Urological Association, where he trains urologists in the country.
Dr Poh Beow Kiong Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): Appointment and medical enquiry: +65 6575 7575, Appointment Hospital mainline Tel: +65 6473 7222, Central Patient Assistance Centre 24-Hour Helpline: +65 6735 5000, WhatsApp us and get an appointment within 24 hours Tel: +65 8111 9777 (For specialist appointment booking only. WhatsApp messaging service is available in English and operates from Monday to Friday, 9am- 5pm.) For Online Appointment : Click here
Chamber Name & Address: Gleneagles Hospital Singapore, 6A Napier Road, Singapore 258500.