About Dr Poh Beow Kiong
Specialty / Subspecialties: Urology
AFFILIATED HOSPITALS: B K Poh Urology
Languages: English, Hokkien, Malay, Mandarin
Fellowship and accreditation
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, National University of Singapore
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- Master of Medicine (Surgery), National University of Singapore
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore (Urology)
Education & Experience:
- Dr Poh Beow Kiong is a urologist at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital and Gleneagles Hospital, Singapore. He also conducts operations at Parkway East Hospital.
- Dr Poh Beow Kiong specialises in minimally invasive (keyhole) urological cancer procedures such as robotic prostate surgery and kidney and bladder cancer surgery. He is also experienced in laser treatment for kidney stones.
- Dr Poh Beow Kiong is one of the few urologists in Singapore who helped develop the techniques of MIS radical prostate cancer surgery. With the robotic adaption of MIS prostate surgery, patients can see lower chances of post-operative urinary incontinence and a higher chance of preservation of erectile function.
- He is also skilled in the kidney-sparing resection of kidney cancers (MIS partial nephrectomy), where kidney cancers may be extracted without sacrificing the whole kidney, and without affecting kidney functions.
- He is one of the few doctors in Singapore who performs the Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP), a procedure that allows for the complete removal of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) adenomas with minimal bleeding and preservation of continence.
- In the field of stone surgery, Dr Poh frequently demonstrates stone surgery in the form of retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS) and mini percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) (PCNL). These are minimally invasive techniques that allow for complete removal of kidney stones with low remnant/recurrent stone rates.
- After completing his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery at the National University of Singapore, he underwent specialist training in urology and attained his Master of Medicine in Surgery. Subsequently, he obtained subspecialty training in keyhole surgery for kidney tumours at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Canada.
- During his time at UBC, Dr Poh was a faculty member of their urologic residency programme, and trained junior urologists in advanced kidney stone surgery.
- Dr Poh Beow Kiong is currently a senior clinical lecturer at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS, and a faculty member of the Singapore urology residency programme. He is also a visiting lecturer with the Indonesian Urological Association, and trains urologists in the field.
Dr Poh Beow Kiong Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): BOOK BY Tel 64711450, Fax 64794147, Orchard +65 6250 0000, Novena +65 6898 6898 & Online Appointment here.
Chamber Name & Address: Mount Elizabeth Hospital, B K Poh Urology, 6A Napier Road #07-18,Gleneagles Medical Centre, Singapore 258500.
Read: Our Health Tips
Like: Our Facebook Page