About Dr Tan Ban Wei Ronny
Specialty / Subspecialties: Urology
AFFILIATED HOSPITALS: Advanced Urology Associates Pte Ltd
Languages: Cantonese, English, Hokkien, Mandarin, Teochew
Fellowship and accreditation
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Singapore
- Masters of Medicine (Surgery), Singapore
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore (Urology)
Education & Experience:
- Dr Tan Ban Wei Ronny is a urologist at Mount Elizabeth Hospitals and Parkway East Hospital, Singapore.
- He subspecialises in andrology, male subfertility, sexual medicine and urological prosthetic surgery.
- Dr Tan Ban Wei Ronny performed the UroLift procedure, a minimally invasive approach to treating an enlarged prostate, at Mount Elizabeth Hospital on 16 October 2019.
- Dr Tan Ban Wei Ronny was awarded the Healthcare Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) scholarship in 2013 and spent a year undergoing a Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMSNA)-accredited clinical fellowship in Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- During his stint at Tulane, other than being qualified in implanting the Boston Sci AMS penile prosthesis, artificial urinary sphincters and urethral slings, Dr Tan also implanted the Titan Touch penile implant from Coloplast as well as the quadratic urethral sling. He was one of the first to start using intralesional collagenase injections for the treatment of Peyronie’s disease, and published on the effectiveness of the second generation PDE5 inhibitor avanafil for treatment of erectile dysfunction.
- Prior to starting private practice, he was the director of andrology at Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
- He began the use of low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy (LiESWT) for erectile dysfunction in restructured hospitals and was the first to confirm the effectiveness of this modality of care. He is proficient in the positioning of urethral slings, artificial urinary sphincters for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence as well as penile prosthesis (ranging from malleables to inflatables) for the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
- He is also specialized in single-incision concomitant placement of prostheses for both erectile dysfunction and stress urinary incontinence, and has expertise in the treatment of penile deformities, ranging from frenulum brevie to congenital penile curvatures to Peyronie’s disease.
- He provides assessment for male subfertility and is specialized in sperm extraction techniques ranging from percutaneous sperm aspiration, microsurgical TESE to electro-ejaculation. He provides microsurgical varicocelectomy for the treatment of inferior sperm parameters due to varicoceles.
- He was also one of the earliest urologists in the department who began the clinical service using high power greenlight laser vaporisation for treating benign prostate enlargement and serves as the department proctoring surgeon for the operation.
- Dr Tan Ban Wei Ronny worked as clinical core faculty of the NHG Urology Residency Program and has trained many urology specialists. He is also an adjunct assistant professor at the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, NTU, as well as a senior lecturer at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
- He has been awarded ‘Best Teacher’ several times for his passion and commitment for teaching medical students and young specialists in training. Together with his urology specialist trainee, he was awarded an NHG-HOMER (National Healthcare Group- Health Outcomes and Medical Education Research) Grant to formally train junior doctors on performance of the procedure of bladder washout.
- He is well-published and continues to be a frequent reviewer for the Journal of Sexual Medicine, Sexual Medicine Reviews and Urology (Gold Journal) (Gold Journal). He has worked as course director in various symposia, masterclasses as well as courses on andrology and sexual medicine, He is also invited as speaker and faculty of loco-regional and international conferences. He is also active in organising public meetings and GP forums and contributes articles to local magazines and newspapers, to increase the visibility of men’s health issues to both public and family physicians.
- He led a team looking at ways to boost cost-effectiveness of ambulatory day surgical management of patients who have undergone TURP or TUVP while he was in Tan Tock Seng Hospital and was awarded the prestigious Gold Award at the Asian Hospital Management Awards 2018.
- He is also on the Executive Committee of the Singapore Urological Association (SUA) and the Society for Men’s Health Singapore (SMHS) (SMHS). He serves as the Honorary Treasurer of the Society for Continence Singapore (SFCS), the Vice-President of the Global Chinese Andrology and Sexual Medicine Association (GCASMA) and is the Chairman of the Membership Committee of the International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM) (ISSM).
- He was on the committee for Clinical Practice Guidelines 2012 for treatment of Premature Ejaculation and is the co-chairman for the SMHS Guidelines 2014 for management of erectile dysfunction.
- Dr Tan Ban Wei Ronny is an advocate for men’s health problems and is constantly searching for opportunities to add life to years and to engage men to take care of their health issues.
Dr Tan Ban Wei Ronny Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): BOOK BY Tel 66941838, Fax 66941828, Orchard +65 6250 0000, Novena +65 6898 6898 & Online Appointment here.
Chamber Name & Address: Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Advanced Urology Associates Pte Ltd, 38 Irrawaddy Road #07-40, Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre, Singapore 329563.
Read: Our Health Tips
Like: Our Facebook Page