About Dr Tan Kai Chah
Specialty: General Surgery
Fellowship and accreditation
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore
- Dr Tan Kai Chah is a general surgeon specializing in liver transplantation at Gleneagles Hospital in Singapore. Dr Tan Kai Chah treats a variety of conditions, including liver failure, liver cancer, and general liver disease.
Dr Tan Kai Chah received his specialist training in paediatric hepatobiliary surgery and liver transplantation from 1986 to 1994 at King’s College Hospital (KCH) in London. Dr Tan pioneered a number of the 400 liver transplant procedures he conducted in the United Kingdom.
He performed the first’split-liver’ transplantation, dividing the donor graft and transplanting it to two recipients. Additionally, he performed the first auxiliary heterotopic liver graft for a patient suffering from fulminant hepatic failure. Orthotopic segmental grafts were successfully implanted in a pair of siblings with the Crigler-Najjar syndrome. It was the first time the procedure had been conducted in Europe and just the second time worldwide.
- Dr Tan Kai Chah conducted five liver-kidney combination transplantations and two heart-liver combination transplantations, the latter in collaboration with Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub of Harefield Hospital in London. While the KCH Liver Transplant Program was mostly geared toward adults, Dr Tan conducted over 75 paediatric liver transplants, 45 percent of which were liver reductions from an adult liver. He conducted the first pilot study on paediatric living donor liver transplantation in the United Kingdom successfully.
Dr Tan trained 26 surgeons in hepatobiliary and liver transplant surgery during his time as the senior liver transplant surgeon at KCH. He consulted and assisted in the implementation of the Irish National Liver Transplant Program at Dublin’s St. Vincent’s Hospital.
Dr Tan has written several publications and delivered several lectures on the subjects of hepatobiliary and liver transplantation surgery. He is the co-editor of a textbook titled ‘The Practice of Liver Transplantation.’
He returned to South East Asia in 1994, after six years as a consultant surgeon at KCH, to establish his private practice at Gleneagles Hospital in Singapore. In 1996, he was named director of the National University Hospital’s (NUH) Liver Transplant Program in Singapore.
At the moment, his practice is primarily focused on general hepatobiliary surgery and liver transplantation. In 1995, he founded a living donor liver transplant program at SJMC in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which has since performed over 50 transplants. He completed 47 adult and paediatric transplants at NUH before resigning in March 2002.
Gleneagles Hospital in Singapore was granted permission to conduct living donor liver transplantation in January 2002. Dr Tan performed the first successful adult-adult living donor liver transplant in South East Asia in April 2002 at Gleneagles. Dr Tan has completed over 230 of these procedures to date.
Dr Tan Kai Chah Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): Appointment and medical enquiry: +65 6575 7575, Appointment Hospital mainline Tel: +65 6473 7222, Central Patient Assistance Centre 24-Hour Helpline: +65 6735 5000, WhatsApp us and get an appointment within 24 hours Tel: +65 8111 9777 (For specialist appointment booking only. WhatsApp messaging service is available in English and operates from Monday to Friday, 9am- 5pm.) For Online Appointment : Click here
Chamber Name & Address: Gleneagles Hospital Singapore, 6A Napier Road, Singapore 258500.