About Dr Tan Khiaw Ngiap James
Specialty / Subspecialties: Urology
AFFILIATED HOSPITALS: Advanced Urology Associates Pte Ltd
Languages: Cantonese, English, Hokkien, Indonesian, Mandarin, Teochew
Fellowship and accreditation
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) (Singapore) 1990
- Master of Medicine (M Med) (Gen Surg) (Singapore) 1995
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) (Gen Surg) (Glasg) 1995
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCSEd) (Gen Surg) 1995
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine (FAMS) (Singapore) 2000
Education & Experience:
- Dr Tan Khiaw Ngiap James is a urologist currently working in Mount Elizabeth Hospital and Gleneagles Hospital, Singapore. He specialises in genito-urinary cancer surgery, robotic & advanced laparoscopic surgery.
- Dr Tan Khiaw Ngiap James underwent specialized training in genito-urinary cancer surgery in the London Health Sciences Centre in Canada, and he attended the Chi Mei Foundation Medical Centre in Taiwan to specialise in laparoscopic urology. Here, he honed his laparoscopic abilities by researching and conducting laparoscopic partial cystectomy and enterocystoplasty in an animal model. He has engaged in several laparoscopic radical cystectomy and nephro-ureterectomy in the clinical setting for patients with bladder and/or ureteric transitional cell carcinoma.
- Prior to beginning his private practice, Dr Tan was head of the Department of Urology at Tan Tock Seng Hospital and the lead surgeon (Urology) at TTSH’s Centre for Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery. He was also the deputy director of TTSH’s Clinical Research Unit. He is currently a visiting consultant at the National University Hospital, and a gazetted renal transplant surgeon in the Ministry of Health Transplant Team.
- Dr Tan Khiaw Ngiap James has extensive experience in treating benign and malignant disorders of the adrenal gland, thyroid, bladder and prostate. He was the first in Singapore to perform laparoscopic radical prostatectomy in 2002, and he is a pioneer of procedures such as laparoscopic retroperitoneal radical nephrectomy, laparoscopic transposition of retrocaval ureter, laparoscopic repair of vesico-vaginal fistula and robotic ureteric re-implantation.
- Dr Tan Khiaw Ngiap James has completed more than a few hundred robotic radical prostatectomies. He regularly performs bilateral nerve sparing and bladder neck sparing robotic prostatectomy to maintain potency and urinary continence. Where necessary, he will perform additional bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy. His other areas of expertise are in minimally invasive and endoscopic treatment of urinary stones and prostate diseases.
- Dr Tan Khiaw Ngiap James has assisted in the training of many junior surgeons in Singapore and the area through various surgical demonstrations, teleconferences and workshops. He has also done live surgery demonstrations in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Nepal and Thailand.
- He is a life member of the Singapore Urological Association and had held the roles of EXCO member and honorary treasurer. He is in the Ministry of Health’s Clinical Advisory Committee for Kidney Cancer as well as a member of Chapter of Urology Subspecialty Committees for Urologic Cancers, Endourology and Laparoscopy. Dr Tan is also a member of the American Urological Association, European Urology Association, Asian Society of Endourology, Asia-Pacific Society of Uro-Oncolog and Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia.
Dr Tan Khiaw Ngiap James Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): BOOK BY Tel 66941838, Fax 66941828, Orchard +65 6250 0000, Novena +65 6898 6898 & Online Appointment here.
Chamber Name & Address: Mount Elizabeth Hospitall, Advanced Urology Associates Pte Ltd, 38 Irrawaddy Road #07-40, Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre, Singapore 329563.
Read: Our Health Tips
Like: Our Facebook Page