About Dr Tony Tan
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Tel: 6972 4497/ 6972 4498
Qualification: MbChB (Aberdeen), MRCOG (London), FRCOG (London)
Clinic: Tony Tan Women & Fetal Clinic & PLL Anaesthesia Clinic
Mount Alvernia Hospital
820 Thomson Road
Medical Centre D #07-66
8.30am to 12.30pm, 2pm to 5.30pm (Mon – Fri)
8.30am to 12.30pm (Thu & Sat)
- Dr Tony Tan graduated from the National University of Singapore with an MBBS in 1993 and a specialty in Obstetrics & Gynecology in 2000. He completed an additional year of training in fetal medicine, including twin pregnancies, at Queen Charlotte’s Hospital in London in June 2003. He worked as a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital till October 2006, and then as Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and Clinical Director, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Raffles Hospital, from November 2006 to June 2019. From 1st July 2019, he will open his own clinic, “Tony Tan Women and Fetal Clinic,” at Mount Alvernia Hospital. From the same date, he was named Medical Director of Alvernia Obstetric Screening Centre.
- Dr Tony Tan is accredited to manage patients in all of Singapore’s private hospitals, including Mount Alvernia Hospital, Raffles Hospital, Parkway Hospitals (Mount Elizabeth Orchard and Novena, Gleneagles, and Parkway East), and Thomson Medical Centre.
- Dr Tony Tan is an expert in managing high-risk pregnancies. He is particularly interested in twin pregnancies (monochorionic and dichorionic), miscarriages, fetal abnormalities screening and diagnosis, preterm labor prevention and management, pre-eclampsia and intrauterine growth restriction management, and measures to prevent stillbirth. He personally performs diagnostic ultrasound scans and invasive diagnostic procedures during pregnancy (e.g., first trimester screening, second trimester fetal abnormality scan, and third trimester growth scan and Doppler investigations) using a high-resolution ultrasound machine (GE E8 machine) (e.g. amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling).
- Dr Tony Tan is responsible for low-risk pregnancies and was instrumental in developing protocols based on the best available evidence for use in the clinics and labor ward at Raffles Hospital, as well as patient counselling sheets for common obstetric procedures for the Obstetrical and Gynecological Society of Singapore during his tenure as President.
- Dr Tony Tan also treats ladies who are not pregnant. He performs gynaecological screening for healthy women and sexually transmitted infections, manages patients with fibroids, ovarian cysts, adenomyosis, endometriosis, and pelvic inflammatory disease, and performs minor and major gynaecological operations such as hysteroscopy, dilatation and curettage, hysterectomy, myomectomy, and ovarian cystectomy (via laparotomy
- He does not, however, perform assisted reproductive treatments such as SO-IUI (superovulation in utero insemination) or IVF (in vitro fertilization), however he does monitor high-risk pregnancies that result from SO-IUI or IVF.
- He has published in peer-reviewed journals and is frequently invited to present academic talks to other obstetricians and gynecologists at local, regional, and international medical conferences.
- He served as President of the Obstetrical and Gynecological Society of Singapore from 2013 to 2014 and as Chairman of the Asia-Oceanic Federation of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ Maternal Fetal Medicine Committee from 2013 to 2017.
- He is a fellow of both the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in the United Kingdom and the Singapore Academy of Medicine, as well as a member of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. He also serves as an examiner for the MRCOG and Exit tests for local ophthalmology trainees. He is a member of the Faculty of Medical Experts and has offered expert medical opinions in obstetric medicolegal cases in his community. He is also a member of the SingHealth Centralised Institutional Review Body, which serves as the central ethics review board for biomedical and behavioral research done under the auspices of the SingHealth institution.
Dr Tony Tan Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): Appointment Line Tel: +65 6347 6688 (Open 24 hours), If you require any urgent assistance, please contact us at +65 6347 6688. For Online Appointment : Click here
Chamber Name & Address: Mount Alvernia Hospital, 820 Thomson Road, Singapore 574623.