About Dr Woon Yng Yng Bertha
Specialty: General Surgery
Languages: Cantonese, English, French, Hainanese, Hokkien, Indonesian, Mandarin, Teochew
Fellowship and accreditation
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery – MBBS (S’pore)(1996)
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh – MRCS(Edinburgh)(2000)
- Master of Medicine – M Med (Surg)(2001)
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh – FRCSEd (Gen)(2004)
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine – FAMS (Surgery)(2004)
- GDTI (NTU)(2009) Graduate Diploma in Translation and Interpreting
- JD (Juris Doctor, SMU)(2012)
- Bertha Woon, Dr Woon Yng Yng Bertha is a general surgeon currently based in Singapore’s Gleneagles Hospital. She is a breast cancer nurse who specializes in breast conservation strategies. She also sees a lot of non-cancerous breast problems. She frequently sees general surgery conditions, such as diagnosis of stomach pain and gastrointestinal symptoms, for the benefit of her patients.
While completing her surgical training, she was instructed locally by pioneer surgeons in breast conservation prior to the coining of the word “Oncoplastic,” which sparked her interest in breast cancer surgery as a subspecialty. She was fortunate to be one of the first batches of surgeons in Singapore to be qualified in laparoscopic surgery and cross-trained in endoscopy by pioneers. She is a life member of ELSA (Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia) and the Singapore Hepatopancreaticobiliary Society (HPBA(S)).
Dr Woon Yng Yng Bertha Woon is fluent in many languages. She is fluent in English, Mandarin, and Hokkien, and can communicate in Malay for medical purposes. She is also fluent in a few other languages and dialects. She is a qualified translator/interpreter of English and Mandarin, having earned a Graduate Diploma in Translation and Interpreting from Nanyang Technological University through a joint programme with Guangdong University of Foreign Studies.
- Dr Woon Yng Yng Bertha is an active member of several professional societies and organizations in order to represent the medical community. She has served on the council of the Singapore Medical Association (SMA) since 2007 and currently represents the SMA as a councillor of the Confederation of Medical Associations in Asia and Oceania (CMAAO), vice-chairman of the Medical Indemnity Committee, and board member of the Centre for Medical Ethics and Professionalism (SMA-CMEP). Since 2011, she has been on the Executive Committee of the Academy of Medicine’s College of Surgeons, Singapore. She served as treasurer from 2011 to 2012 and as Honorary Secretary since 2013. She is also a member of the Academy of Medicine Singapore’s Standing Committee on Professional Affairs.
Dr Woon Yng Yng Bertha served on the Medico-Legal Society of Singapore’s council from 2014 to 2015. She has served on the Council of the Association of Women Doctors (Singapore) since 2014, where she and her fellow women doctors help and assist female medical students and doctors with a variety of issues, as well as perform community service. Dr Woon is also a member of the Transplant Ethics Committee, which oversees the ethics of transplant cases in Singapore, having been appointed in 2014.
Dr Woon was elected to the Gleneagles Hospital ExCo’s Medical Advisory Board in January 2015. She is the chair of the Continual Medical Education Committee and arranged and chaired the 2014 and 2015 Annual Scientific Meetings.
Dr Woon Yng Yng Bertha is also a Supreme Court of Singapore lawyer and solicitor, having been admitted to the Singapore Bar in 2013. She is a member of the Medical Protection Society and a volunteer associate mediator at the Singapore Mediation Centre, where she enjoys assisting parties in resolving conflicts.
Dr Woon Yng Yng Bertha Appointment Process
Appointment Number (For Serial): Appointment and medical enquiry: +65 6575 7575, Appointment Hospital mainline Tel: +65 6473 7222, Central Patient Assistance Centre 24-Hour Helpline: +65 6735 5000, WhatsApp us and get an appointment within 24 hours Tel: +65 8111 9777 (For specialist appointment booking only. WhatsApp messaging service is available in English and operates from Monday to Friday, 9am- 5pm.) For Online Appointment : Click here
Chamber Name & Address: Gleneagles Hospital Singapore, 6A Napier Road, Singapore 258500.